History

Pleasant Valley Bible Church began in 1869 when a number of families moved to this area and established both a school and a church. The school was the beginning of the Pleasant Valley School District and the church was called Pleasant Valley Church. On June 12, 1869, twenty three people started this ministry.

The original statement of faith of this church emphasized the authority of the Scriptures, the preaching the Word of God, prayer, and evangelism. New churches were planted soon after this one started. Teams of people were sent out to help start churches in Oxnard, Sespe, Ojai, Simi, and Thousand Oaks. Many of these works were pursued early on in this church’s life and continue today.

When the church moved into their first facility on Ventura Boulevard, they did so debt free. The first facility was replaced by a larger, Spanish style building in 1930. Several additions were added to it over the next 25 years due to the growth of the church body and the purchase of some of the property by the state to construct the current 101 freeway. By 1966, the growth of the ministry and the community necessitated looking for additional property. It was decided that a new location would be necessary. The current site at the corner of Ponderosa and Lantana was selected and a sanctuary was constructed in 1982. The additional structures were added several years later.

There have been 33 pastors in this church since 1869. Each has made a significant contribution in leading this flock of God. In 2001, Paul Phillipps was called to serve as pastor to continue preserving the heritage of the past while providing leadership for new horizons in the future. What God has started by His grace He will continue by His power until the work is completed for His glory (Eph. 3:20-21).