Pleasant Valley Bible Church exists to exalt God, equip the saints, edify one another, and evangelize the world. We are committed to the expository (verse-by-verse) preaching of God’s inerrant Word. We are a non-denominational Christian church in Camarillo, CA, and are also a member of the Fellowship of Independent Reformed Evangelicals (FIRE).
Pleasant Valley Bible Church began on June 12, 1869 when a number of families moved to this area and established both a school and a church (original building pictured). The school was the beginning of the Pleasant Valley School District and the church was called Pleasant Valley Church.
The original statement of faith of this church emphasized the authority of the Scriptures, the preaching the Word of God, prayer, and evangelism. Teams of people were sent out to help start churches in Oxnard, Sespe, Ojai, Simi, and Thousand Oaks.
The church’s first facility was on Ventura Boulevard (near what is Arneil Rd today), which was replaced and expanded through the years. Some of the original property was purchased by the state in 1952 and sliced off to build the 101 freeway. Due to the growth of the church body, the church moved to its current location on the corner of Ponderosa and Lantana in 1980. The sanctuary was constructed in 1982, and the additional structures were added several years later.
There have been 33 pastors in this church since 1869, and each has made a significant contribution in leading this flock of God. In 2001, Paul Phillipps was called to serve as pastor to continue preserving the heritage of the past while providing leadership for new horizons in the future.
What God has started by His grace He will continue by His power until the work is completed for His glory (Eph. 3:20-21).